Friends of Music Committee
In 2010, the vestry approved the development of a designated fund called “Friends of Music” for donations that came to the Music Ministry of Holy Apostles. In 2012, again with vestry approval and support, the concept of Friends of Music expanded as a community outreach effort to foster knowledge and appreciation of sacred music and other music genres by presenting an ongoing series of concerts featuring artists of exceptional merit. This also inlcudes showcasing opportunities for younger musicians and hosting sponsored educational programs. The Friends of Music Committee is always looking for people who like to help plan concerts and receptions, and show hospitality to the larger community.
Past concerts include:
- Production of the musical “The Cotton Patch Gospel” starring Father John Leach and other cast members, accompanied by bluegrass band.
- Choral concert of the music of Ola Gjeilo by the Parish Choir, joined by choirs from three other churches
- “Music from the Age of Downtown”, an organ recital by Organist-Choirmaster Sondra Tucker
- Soprano Carole Blankenship and tenor Randal Rushing
- “Heavy Metal”, music for brass and organ
- The Agape Ringers of Chicago in concert
- Joby Bell, organist, in concert